Basic Policies on Product Safety and Security
NuFlare Technology stipulates, in the NuFlare Technology Group Standards of Conduct, that the company should strive to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations as well as product safety and security, while actively and sincerely being committed to disclosing safety information to customers. NuFlare Technology also keeps watch on the safety-related standards and technical regulations (e.g., UL*1 and CE marking*2 standards) of the countries and regions to which its products are delivered, in order to ensure that they bear appropriate safety labels as per the relevant standards and regulations.
- NuFlare Technology shall observe both Japanese and overseas laws and regulations related to product safety and security.
- NuFlare Technology shall collect, and proactively disclose, a wide range of information about product accidents.
- NuFlare Technology shall immediately report any product accident to the authorities concerned in accordance with relevant laws and regulations.
- NuFlare Technology shall notify its customers of any need to recall and repair products.
- NuFlare Technology shall educate customers on how to use its products in a safe manner while appropriately raising caution and displaying warnings when deemed necessary.
- In the event of an accident, NuFlare Technology shall thoroughly analyze its causes to prevent similar accidents. NuFlare Technology shall also predict potential risks at the design stage to prevent accidents.
- NuFlare Technology shall strive to eliminate product vulnerabilities prior to shipment.
- NuFlare Technology shall collect information about product vulnerabilities to reduce security risk.
- NuFlare Technology shall strive to widely disseminate information about product security measures in cooperation with the organizations concerned.
- *1 UL standards： Safety standards issued by UL LLC in the United States that develops standards for materials, products, and equipment, performs safety testing, and provides certification
- *2 CE marking： A certification mark that indicates conformity with the safety-related standards of the European Union (EU). CE marking is mandatory for certain product groups sold within the European Economic Area (EEA).
Ensuring Product Safety
NuFlare Technology performs safety tests against international standards to determine electrical safety of industrial machinery (IEC/EN60204-1, etc.), safety of electromagnetic compatibility (IEC/EN61000, etc.), and the like, and it has obtained third-party certification to put CE marking on its products. In addition, the company designs and manufactures products in compliance with the Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI) Standards and holds third-party safety certification in connection with design-related safety guidelines, such as SEMI S2 and S22, and ergonomic safety guidelines, most notably S8.
Initiatives for the Prevention of Serious Accidents
As of the end of March 2022, we have no serious accident occurrences (loss of life, severe injury, permanent damage, or fire) to report. NuFlare Technology considers that a serious accident provides a significant warning about the quality and safety of a product and affords valuable insights about product development and evaluation. We will continue to promote information-sharing across the company to prevent product accidents.
Product Accident Response Team
When an employee is informed about an accident caused by a NuFlare Technology product on the market, he or she shall immediately report it to the contact person of each department. If the accident is recognized as a PL or CL accident, the employee is also required to consult the PL/CL Committee,*1 which is chaired by the Chief Quality Executive, to discuss the problem and take necessary measuresaccording to the Product Safety and Product Security Policy of Toshiba Group.
The essential processes that shall take place when a serious product accident is judged to be of recurrent nature are: “swiftly informing customers of the danger to get them to stop using it,” “immediately reporting it to the authorities concerned,” and “preparing for implementation of necessary measures as soon as possible.” The company also has in place an information system that allows maintenance workers to quickly communicate to the quality assurance sector and the Chief Quality Executive product accident information obtained through their frontline work and responses thereto, so that information about accidents can be collected swiftly.
- *1 PL/CL Committee： A committee that combines the functions necessary to address product liability (PL) and contractual liability (CL) incidents. Chaired by the Chief Quality Executive, the PL/CL Committee makes prompt decisions concerning product accidents and quality issues.
In the event of serious defects being found in its products, systems, and services and in the event of serious accidents resulting from the use thereof, NuFlare Technology promptly notifies the authorities concerned and discloses information about the danger to its customers.
Compliance with Laws, Regulations, and Rules Related to Product Safety
At NuFlare Technology, the Chief Quality Executive takes the initiative in disseminating the information about laws, regulations, and rules related to product safety across the company.
Providing Information for the Safe Use of Products
All products are equipped with various safety devices. However, safety devices may not be sufficient when products are used over an extended period of time or under unintended conditions. To ensure that its products are used in a safe manner, NuFlare Technology emphasizes efforts for information provision. For example, we endeavor to describe the correct use of our products in an easy-to-understand manner in instruction manuals and provide safety considerations through educational materials.
Disclosing Information about Product Safety and Quality Nonconformity
In the event of a serious accident arising from the defect or use of a product or service, NuFlare Technology immediately notifies the authorities concerned as required by the applicable law. Depending on the severity and frequency of the accident, NuFlare Technology also discloses information via press release and website to inform customers as soon as possible. Even when it cannot be determined whether a serious product accident is attributable to a given product, NuFlare Technology actively discloses information to alert customers.